Experienced, Caring And Affordable

Portland Post-Judgment Modification Lawyer

Last updated on September 12, 2023

Circumstances often change after the terms of a divorce, legal separation, paternity or custody judgment have been finalized. To modify custody, child support or spousal support, the party must prove that a substantial change of circumstances has occurred since entry of the underlying judgment. Parenting time can be modified by showing that it is in the best interests of the child to do so.

We can help with your modification of judgment issues. Call The Law Offices of Paul F. Sherman at 503-223-8441 or Contact Us for a free consultation.

Paul F. Sherman Is A Skilled And Effective Child Custody Modification Attorney

The modification of child custody requires the court to find a substantial change in circumstances in the custody arrangement since entry of the original custody determination. These circumstances may include relocation for a new job, drug and alcohol addiction, physical or sexual abuse, substantial neglect, serious mental issues, incarceration or one parent being otherwise deemed unfit.

The modification of sole custody from one parent to another is generally based upon health, safety and welfare issues pertaining to the child or if the court finds that the child is in immediate and ongoing danger.

The standard for modifying a change in joint custody only requires a showing that the parties find it impossible to agree on decision-making or the other party refuses to cooperate on parenting issues. This, in and of itself, constitutes a substantial change in circumstances sufficient to justify changing custody.

It is important to note that as children become older, their choice regarding which parent the child prefers to live with will be given more weight.

Portland Child Support Modification Lawyer

Modifications of child support are justified by a substantial change in income of either parent, emancipation of a child, or unanticipated mental or physical incapacitation of a child. Child support is calculated using overnight parenting time and a substantial change in the number of overnights spent with one parent may also justify a modification of child support.

The parent seeking a modification has the burden of proof to show a sufficient change in circumstances has occurred to justify a modification of the child support calculation. As a general rule, the courts will use the child support guidelines in determining child support. Deviations may be allowed in appropriate circumstances.

Paul F. Sherman Is A Skilled Portland Spousal Support Modification Attorney

For over 35 years, Paul F. Sherman has been successfully helping clients with spousal support modifications. A modification of spousal support requires an unanticipated substantial change in economic circumstances. The court may increase, decrease or terminate spousal support with adequate cause. The party seeking the modification has the burden of proving that a substantial change in economic circumstances has occurred sufficient to justify a modification. Spousal support modifications are appropriate due to job loss, failure of a business or other substantial changes in income or earning capacity.

Paul F. Sherman Is An Experienced Parenting Time Modification Lawyer

Modification of parenting time or visitation requires showing that the modification is in the best interests of the children. Modifications of parenting time routinely occur in relocations caused by job loss or a new job. A parenting time modification may also be justified by an improvement in the requesting party’s living conditions, health or welfare. Modification may also be appropriate where the current parenting plan is no longer working.

Contact Paul F. Sherman For Expert Advice On The Modification Of Custody, Parenting Time And Support And Get The Results You Deserve

The Law Offices of Paul F. Sherman have decades of vital experience in handling modifications of child custody, parenting time and support in family law matters.  We are determined to get you the best possible outcome on your case.  We offer personal service with proven results.  We are experienced, skilled and affordable.

We know you have questions, and we have answers. If you would like more information about post-judgment modification of child custody, parenting time, child support, spousal support or other family law issues, call The Law Offices of Paul F. Sherman at 503-223-8441 or Contact Us for a free consultation.