Portland Paternity Attorney

Experienced Father's Rights Lawyer

Unmarried couples often have children. Unfortunately, most fathers don't realize that if they were not married to the mother of their child or children, they have no legal rights as a parent. Paternity for the unmarried father can only be proved through DNA testing or demonstrated through the existence of a paternity affidavit. A father cannot be awarded custody or enforce parenting time until paternity is established or affirmed by a court of law. This is often referred to by the courts as filiation proceedings.

We can help with your paternity or father's rights case. Call the Law Offices of Paul F. Sherman at (503) 223-8441, or Contact Us for a free paternity consultation.

Experienced Filiation Attorney
Paul F. Sherman Can Help You Establish Your Parental Rights

Paul F. Sherman is an experienced paternity attorney. He has been helping fathers successfully establish their parental rights for more than 30 years.

Paternity can now be established relatively quickly with low-cost DNA paternity testing. The father can either voluntarily submit to a paternity test or can be compelled to take the test through a court order. Modern DNA tests are extremely accurate and provide nearly indisputable parentage (99.9 percent) results. It is also common that paternity can be affirmed by the existence of a paternity affidavit, which is typically presented to the father at the hospital at the time of the child's birth.

A married man is legally presumed to be the father of any child conceived during the marriage, even if he is not the biological father of the child. This presumption may be rebutted by DNA testing but requires court or administrative action to do so.

If you are a father who has been served with child support enforcement papers, you need to address the issue of paternity immediately. The failure to do so could result in the waiver of your rights. It could also result in a large child support judgment which could ruin your credit and result in the loss of your driver's license.

Lawyer for Unmarried Father's Rights
Paul F. Sherman Can Help You See Your Children

For unmarried fathers, the road to establishing a relationship with your child always begins with establishing paternity. Once paternity has been legally established, the Court can award you visitation and custody rights. A child's best interests are served by having a relationship with both parents. Children need their fathers.

When paternity has been legally established by the Court, a mother may not deny a father access to his child. There are serious penalties for mothers who refuse to comply with a Court order or a parenting time judgment and unreasonably interfere with a fathers' rights to spend time with their children.

Contact Paul F. Sherman for Expert Advice on Paternity and Father's Rights

We know you have more questions, and we have the answers. If you would like to learn more about establishing paternity or a father's rights to visitation or custody of their child, call the Law Offices of Paul F. Sherman at (503) 223-8441 for expert legal advice or Contact Us to arrange for a free paternity or parental rights consultation.